Calendar Link with new Warehouse schedule. Now open every Saturday 10 AM – 1 PM. (Except Holiday weekends — closed May 25)
Welcome to our Club and Foundation. We are 175 members and over 100 volunteers from the Washtenaw County area, dedicated to serving the children of our community.
The Kiwanis Club has been in Ann Arbor since May of 1921. In recent years we have supported well over 100 area agencies from the proceeds of the Thrift Sale held every Saturday (except holiday weekends) at Kiwanis Activity Center at 200 S. First St.
Kiwanis is a global organization of volunteers, dedicated to changing the world, one child and one community at a time. The Ann Arbor Kiwanis Thrift Sale is staffed by unpaid Kiwanis members and volunteers. The Kiwanis Club of Ann Arbor Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation, and donations to the Thrift Sale and Foundation are generally tax deductible – check with your tax advisor.
Proceeds from the Thrift Sale fund a wide variety of charities and social agencies in Ann Arbor and Washtenaw County. In fiscal year 2011-2012, the Foundation contributed over $240,000 in cash and goods to help nearly 25,000 people.
The Kiwanis Club of Ann Arbor was organized on May 13, 1921, and was chartered on June 13, 1921, with 60 charter members. As of December 8, 2011, our club had 176members, making it the largest Kiwanis club in Michigan. Since its founding, the club has inducted 1,187 members.
!n 1922, the club began working with the University of Michigan Hospital to provide recreation and education for children staying there. In 1934, the work was adopted as a Michigan District project and named for Forney W. Clement, a former Kiwanis District Secretary and member of our club. The project was extended to the Mary Free Bed Hospital in Grand Rapids in 1961, to Northern Michigan Hospitals, Inc. in Petoskey in 1977, and to Children’s Hospital of Michigan in Detroit in the 1980s. Our club members contribute monthly to the Mott Pot, whose contents are donated to the children’s education program at the U-M’s C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital.
The club began raising money through thrift sales in 1927. Sales were held mostly at the National Guard Amory until 1968, when the club bought the building now known as the Kiwanis Activity Center (KAC). On May 19, 1984, the club celebrated the burning of the building’s mortgage note. Proceeds raised from thrift sales and other fund-raising efforts have enabled the club to fund activities of many charitable organizations and to carry out several special projects.
Periodically, the club has made substantial gifts (up to $25,000) to various community organizations as part of their capital campaigns (e.g., buildings that house the Ann Arbor YMCA, Red Cross, and Salvation Army; and the Washtenaw Intermediate School District Greenhouse Project) or to projects that significantly enhance the community (e.g., Ann Arbor Public Library Bookmobile, Ann Arbor Fire Department Smoke House, “Neutral Zone” center for teenagers, Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum, Dawn Farm, Washtenaw Area Council for Children, Peace Neighborhood Center, and Hope Dental Clinic).
The club celebrated its 90th anniversary in June 2011. Through all those years it has been blessed with excellent leadership, steadfast participation by its members and volunteers, and support from the community members.